Vivek Murthy, MD
He earned an M.Sc. degree in Pharmacology at the University of Oxford, UK and his M.D. degree at the NYU School of Medicine. He then completed internal medicine residency training at the UCSF School of Medicine. From 2016 to 2020, he was a hospitalist, clinician educator, and Assistant Professor of Medicine at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. Thereafter, he completed a clinical fellowship in Rheumatology at UCSF, and then joined as faculty.
His clinical interests include rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, vasculitis, IgG4-related disease, as well as general medical and psychosocial care of the hospitalized adult.
He serves as an educator for medical students and medicine residents at UCSF and the San Francisco VA.
His research work focuses on the study of peer-defined experts in clinical medicine, to explore their formative learning habits and clinical activities. This line of research inquiry is intended to generate insights to guide medical trainees and faculty who view clinical excellence as an important career goal. His first study in this area (An Inquiry into the Early Careers of Master Clinicians) was published in 2018. A second, multi-center study of peer-defined master clinicians across 7 U.S. academic medical centers and 40 specialties is now underway.
Honors and Awards
- 2020-2021 ACGME Clinical Fellow of the Year Award for the Division of Rheumatology, University of California San Francisco School of Medicine, 2021
- Teaching Excellence Award for Cherished Housestaff (TEACH Award), University of California San Francisco School of Medicine, 2015
- Dora and Solomon Shapiro Award for Scholarship, Personality, and Character, New York University School of Medicine, 2013
- Alpha Omega Alpha, New York University School of Medicine, 2012
- Medicine Clerkship Award for Outstanding Essay in Medical Humanism, New York University School of Medicine, 2011
- University and Departmental Distinctions, M.Sc. in Pharmacology, University of Oxford, 2009
- Phi Beta Kappa, Johns Hopkins University, 2008
Murthy VK, Fava A.. Murthy VK, Fava A. Connective Tissue is The Issue: Relapsing Polychondritis 2020. PMID:
Boonyasai RT, Murthy VK, Yuen-Gee Liu G, et al.. Boonyasai RT, Murthy VK, Yuen-Gee Liu G, et al. Venous Thromboembolism in Hospitalized Patients With COVID-19 Receiving Prophylactic Anticoagulation 2020. PMID:
Murthy VK, Wright SM.. Murthy VK, Wright SM. Would Sir William Osler be a Role Model for Medical Trainees and Physicians Today? 2019. PMID:
Dudum R, Murthy VK.. Dudum R, Murthy VK. Keeping a Low Profile: Insulinoma 2019. PMID:
Mukaigawara M, Kinjo M, Olson APJ, Raita Y, Murthy VK.. Mukaigawara M, Kinjo M, Olson APJ, Raita Y, Murthy VK. Past is Prologue 2019. PMID:
Murthy VK, O’Brien B, Dhaliwal G.. Murthy VK, O’Brien B, Dhaliwal G. An Inquiry into the Early Careers of Master Clinicians 2018. PMID:
Murthy VK, Horowitz HW, Pham VP, Levis WR.. Murthy VK, Horowitz HW, Pham VP, Levis WR. Giant PPD Reaction with Positive Quantiferon-TB Gold in a Patient with Lepromatous Leprosy 2012. PMID:
Ueda SM, Yap KL, Davison B, Tian Y, Murthy V, Wang TL, Visvanathan K, Kuhajda FP, Bristow RE, Shang H, Shih IM.. Ueda SM, Yap KL, Davison B, Tian Y, Murthy V, Wang TL, Visvanathan K, Kuhajda FP, Bristow RE, Shang H, Shih IM. Expression of Fatty Acid Synthase Depends on NAC1 and is Associated with Recurrent Ovarian Serous Carcinomas 2010. PMID: